As usual, I planned my menu for this week last week since I go food shopping on Thursday night after work. However, I also planned my menu for Thanksgiving time to begin stocking up on appropriate ingredients. Plus, I had to do a little brainstorming since our Thanksgiving is going to be on the road. Plus, I just looooove planning vacations. Yes. Indeed. Maybe even overplanning, ha!
So here’s the plan for the rest of this week and the extended Thanksgiving menu/ prep forecast. 🙂
- I’m already somewhat ahead of schedule on the prep. On Friday, I made Touchere Individual-Pies. They are individual vegetarian dinner pies. I made them with sauteed onion, prosage (kind of like vegetarian sausage), seasonings, and instant mashed potatoes.
- Today and tomorrow I’ve planned leftover lunches for myself. I’ve got leftover gluten steaks from last week’s Thanksgiving potluck at work. I also plan a salad each day (see the salad packing idea here). Hubby gets his meals at the hospital cafeteria where he works.
- Tonight, I think I’ll make homemade brown oatmeal rolls. I’m going to make a big batch since our church group is having a “Thanksgiving dinner” event on Saturday night for nearby university students who couldn’t go home for the holidays. Even though we won’t be in town, I will make extra rolls to contribute. And my husband loves homemade rolls, so we’ll be taking some with us, of course!
- Tomorrow night, I think I’ll make pumpkin pie squares and cranberry salad.
- I’m not sure what to do about lunch on Wednesday since it’s only a half day at work. I might grab a lunch at a fast-food place since I’ll probably be running a few errands in preparation for the weekend.
- Wednesday afternoon, I plan on doing laundry and packing up all our food for the extended Thanksgiving weekend.
- Menu for the extended Thanksgiving weekend on the road: Because we’ll be exploring national and state parks and landmarks for much of the time on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I plan to make sandwiches of varying types for those lunches. Thanksgiving dinner will be the Touchere Pies, instant mashed potatoes (cheap, I know…), rolls, cranberry salad, and pumpkin pie squares. Friday dinner will likely be haystacks (like a taco salad, only ingredients are layered on chips). And Saturday night we’ll probably eat out someplace. On Sunday, we’ll be on the road most of the day and by Sunday night, we might be back home. Depends on traffic. Breakfasts will be at the motels where we’re staying, likely supplemented by some food that I’ll bring.